You have your drawings all ready to go, you email the drawing to your client and they only receive bits and pieces of your drawing. Your client is telling you that there are broken references, missing SHX files and detected Aecc objects, just to list a few issues with the drawing. What does all this mean and how can you get your perfect drawing to your client?
This is what’s going on. First of all, you have externally referenced material in this drawing, which is fine, but you need to include this material with the drawing. Next, you have custom fonts, .shx (shape files), in the drawing that again were not included with the drawing. Finally, AutoCAD version specific objects can only be opened in the same version of AutoCAD. When you open a version specific drawing in regular AutoCAD, you will see rectangular objects that represent the Aecc objects. Aecc objects are special objects that only exist in specific versions of AutoCAD. For example, points created in Civil 3D are Civil 3D Cogo Points and only exist in AutoCAD Civil 3D. To view these special AECC objects we need to explode them back to regular AutoCAD entities (or have the recipient download the object enablers). The etransmittal process will gather all necessary material for your drawing as well as explode Aecc objects to regular AutoCAD entities. Here are the steps to create an etransmit zip file:
- Save your drawing.
- On the Application Menu , click Send, click eTransmit.
- In the Create Transmittal dialog box, click Transmittal Setups.
- Then, click New and name it AutoCAD 2010 with Exploded AECC objects to distinguish the AutoCAD version and the condition the AECC objects are in.
- Click Continue.
- Note that it is a good idea to create multiple setups to quickly eTransmit in different formats.
- In the Modify Transmittal Setup, for the File format, select AutoCAD 2010 Drawing Format with Exploded AEC Objects. Click OK.
- Click Close.
- Finally, you will see all the items in the Files Tree tab. Click OK. Select the location where the eTransmit zip file should be saved and click Save.
- Attach this Zip file to your email and you will have a happy client.
This process will gather all essential materials attached to your drawing and enable your client to see your work. Enjoy!